SOFTWARE ENGINEER –Ancestry (San Francisco)
SOFTWARE ENGINEER –Ancestry (San Francisco)
Ancestry.com is the world's largest online resource for family history. We have helped pioneer the market for online family history research, taking a pursuit that was expensive and time-consuming and making it easy, affordable and accessible to anyone with an interest in their family history. The foundation of our service is an extensive collection of billions of historical records that we have digitized, indexed and put online over the past 13 years. These digital records and documents, combined with our proprietary online search technologies, tools and collaboration features, have enabled our more than one million subscribers to create nearly 17 million family trees that contain nearly 1.7 billion profiles, and make meaningful discoveries about the lives of their ancestors.
With employees around the world, we are committed to hiring the very best talent. We are known for our cutting-edge technology, phenomenal innovation, and we offer a compelling and rewarding workplace where you will thrive. We seek out passionate people to join our mission of helping people discover, preserve and share their family history. We invite you to explore and discover the many opportunities that await you at Ancestry.com.
We are looking for an experienced SOFTWARE ENGINEER with 1-4 years experience in the industry building web sites and applications with object oriented languages. You will assist in the creation and development of services that build on our core consumer subscription business, systems that help maintain our internal development products, and enhance/maintain the ancestry.com web site. You will initially focus on support tools, internal web sites, and the ancestry.com site (all written in .NET).
Key Responsibilities / Performance Requirements:
This position will create and modify code that supports a number of services, processes, internal web sites, and SQL Server database operations that support the Ancestry.com web sites. The work will support our internal CMS project (Java/JSP), Wiki project (PHP and MySQL), learning centers, and internal marketing tools. The CMS templates and widgets are written in Java. The main Ancestry.com web site is .NET and C#. This individual needs to have solid ASP .NET experience and be willing to learn Java/JSP to work with the CMS. If you love working in multiple environments and different languages this job is for you.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science (or equivalent degree/experience)
- Prior programming experience with C#, ASP.Net, .Net 4.0, MVC.
- Familiarity with Microsoft Tools
- Familiarity with Java Tools and the Java Runtime Environment a plus
- Familiarity with FatWire CMS system or any CMS system a plus
- Familiarity with PHP a plus
- Understanding of software development processes, including object oriented analysis, design and implementation
- Proficiency in SQL, database schema design and implementation (tables, queries, triggers, views, and stored procedures). Experience with MS SQL Server a plus
- Good communication skills that can deal with diverse types of people from Product Management, Marketing, and Testing groups
- Ability to work with a small dedicated team of software developers
- A self starter willing to learn
- Must be analytical and adept to problem solving and have a strong attention to detail
- Needs to be able to provide clear documentation of code and processes
- Needs to be able to consistently write unit tests for all code developed
Working for Ancestry.com
Ancestry.com is a profitable, growing company with a positive, high-energy environment. Together, our dedicated teams are harnessing the power of technology and using it to simplify the way people connect with their families and their unique legacies. Our work environment is fast-paced and challenging, but also extremely exciting. You’ll work with a team of passionate, engaged individuals. We offer excellent benefits and a competitive compensation package. For additional information, regarding our benefits and career information, please visit our website at http://ancestry.com/careers.
Ancestry.com Inc. is interested in you and we are dedicated to building a diverse workforce with equal opportunities for employment.
Contact: Aaron Ling <email@example.com>